Monday, June 10, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Strawberry and Cherry Yogurt Muffins

I'd like to introduce a new element to the blog, the Recipe of the Week! In these recipe posts, we're going to be writing about the foods we've cooked, and what worked and what didn't. On Memorial Day, I baked a batch of muffins. Normally baked goods are equated to unhealthy, guilty pleasures, but these healthy muffins were a delightful departure from the norm. They were moist, fruity, and wonderful when warm. I ate them with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt for a snack but I can envision them being a great component of a balanced breakfast.



I'm a strong believer in using natural ingredients, and when I came across this recipe, I decided to give it a try. I made a few modifications based on what I had in my kitchen, substituting all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour, 1 cup of strawberries for the blueberries and apricots, and 3/4 cup of Chobani cherry fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt for 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt. For the neutral-flavored oil, I used canola oil and for the unrefined sugar, I used honey. I used fat-free milk instead of skim and they came out fine. If you're looking for a traditional muffin, I wouldn't try this recipe - they tasted more like a strawberry bread (think banana bread, complete with the chunks of fruit). But I appreciated the lightness these muffins offered - it was almost like a sponge cake. 

Yum! Looking forward to sharing more recipes!
Have a wonderful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment