Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Thoughts on Spring Trends

     A few posts ago, Michelle wrote about the importance of style over fashion. Although I completely agree with her philosophy, I'm the kind of person who's easily influenced by trends. As an avid-shopper of stores like Forever21, I tend to follow the fashion of the moment.
     That's not to say, however, that I only dress according to trends. The most important part, in my opinion, is to feel comfortable in an outfit. No matter how great an outfit looks, it will never look complete without confidence. In several incidences, I've tried to wear an outfit based on a certain trend, but, for the entire day, I felt awkward and self-conscious. I find that, at the end of the day, I always feel the most comfortable in a slightly-over-sized sweater, a scarf, jeans, and boots. I wish I could pull off maxi dresses or punk-grunge styles, but with my short stature (I'm only 5 ft tall) and rather childish face, if I tried wearing any of those pieces, I'd look horrible.
      Back to the point of this post, however, I'd like to share some of my thoughts about several trends this spring season!

Circle/A-line Skirts
A DIY circle skirt from the blog "A Pair and a Spare"

Yes! All the curve-lacking girls/women of the world rejoice! I have a rather straight/boyish/athletic figure with broad shoulders and narrow hips, so when the circle skirt trend came along, I couldn't be happier.

Vertical Stripes



No! I really did try to like this trend. I really did, I promise. No matter how I look at them though, I can't help but imagine pajamas and jail uniforms. Or sleazy salesmen in pin-stripe suits.

Peplum Shirts


Yes! See above rant about circle skirts and lack of curves. Peplum shirts (and skirts!) create the illusion of curves as well and overall, I think they just really spice up an outfit.

Leather/Pleather



Depends. Personally, I think leather/pleather should only be worn from the waist down (excluding pleather jackets, which are classic) and in small amounts. A leather shirt is too overwhelming, usually more "erotic-dancer" or "sci-fi" than "biker-chick" If worn correctly and tastefully, however, leather is the perfect element to toughen up an outfit.


Skater Dresses


Yes! Wow, it's a really a good season for us curve-lackers. These dresses are short and flare out, perfect for my petite and stick-straight body. They're also just adorable when they have cut-outs.


Neons



Love! I think there's something really daring and electric about neon colors that really draws me to them. I love the idea of having that bright, eye-catching pop of neon in an outfit that screams summer.


That's all for now! Let me know what you think about the latest trends!

No comments:

Post a Comment