Friday, March 1, 2013

Color Theory

Sorry I haven't been posting lately! Most days, I don't get a chance to take photos of my outfits. I'm working on getting better at that!

When I put this outfit together, I thought about color values. Although the shirt, pants, and boots are different colors, they represent medium, light, and dark colors. I like outfits that have a bit of contrast. I find that if I wear an outfit that is all dark or all light (not including dresses - those can usually work in just one color) the outfit doesn't look as nice. Instead, mixing up colors or prints can make a big impact when done the right way.


Outfit Details: Shirt: American Eagle/ Pants: American Eagle/ Boots: Luxury Rebel / Scarf: Adrienne Landau / Earrings: American Museum of Native American History

Since I'm tall, I used the different values to break up my long body. The scarf, a gift from my grandmother, pulls it all together with the combination of purple to go with the chambray of my shirt, teal to go with the aqua of my pants, and black to go with the black of my boots. It's not too matchy-matchy, but it's got a rhyme and reason to it. This is one of many scarves - I have a pretty substantial collection, and I'm always looking for new ways to wear my scarves.

This was a photo of me with my sophomore year biology teacher - we were holding something up and I liked the light in this photo. We took it in the greenhouse, so we're surrounded by plants. 


Hair: Clipped back with hardshell clip, Earrings: Sterling silver leaf earrings
Eyeliner: Physician's Formula Eye BOOSTER in Ultra Black
I have a good deal of Native American-inspired jewelry, and a lot of the jewelry I wear is pieces I have made. I'll do a few features on my DIY jewelry!

This last one is just for fun. I'm looking quite pensive. I think it's cute how the wall was the same color as my pants, and that border by the floor is the same color as my boots. 

Hope you're having a great day and enjoyed learning more about my style philosophy (with a mini art lesson as well)!

No comments:

Post a Comment