Friday, August 2, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Egg and Kale Pizza

As I'm getting more experienced in the kitchen, I've been experimenting more with my own ingredients, getting basic temperatures and cooking times from sources online and then improvising on my own. It reminds me of the improvisation that is so essential to becoming an individual in art forms such as music and painting. Cooking is the same. Initially, I depended heavily on recipes found online, but now I've become much more independent and relying on my intuition. 

This time last year, I was at a summer program called the NJ Governor's School in the Sciences. In addition to great classes about Neurobiology, Molecular Orbital Chemistry, and Anthropology, I participated in the talent show. I joined up with two of my friends to play a jazz version of Eleanor Rigby. I played the flute and my two friends played the piano and cello. We had no sheet music; we arranged the piece on our own. I remember how uncomfortable I felt at one of our first rehearsals, having been accustomed to always following along on a sheet of paper with carefully delineated measures, notes, and rests. On the night of the talent show, however, I stopped worrying about how it would sound and just let it come together naturally. It was an eye-opening learning experience for me and taught me that it's okay to not plan ahead so much - to just go with the flow.


For this recipe, you will need:
Ingredients
Pizza dough
Cheddar cheese, grated 
Mozzarella cheese, grated
Kale, stalks and stems removed, washed, dried, and cut into bite-size pieces
Egg
Thyme
Tomato sauce (I used Trader Joe's Organic Marinara Sauce)
Salt

Recipe
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Spread out pizza dough until it forms a thin, flat sheet. If holes form, seal them up gently with your fingers. Spread tomato sauce on the dough. Add the kale, followed by the cheeses. Crack an egg over the top of the pizza and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the crust is golden brown at the edges. Enjoy! 




 I love this variation on a breakfast pizza. I made another pizza that day too - recipe coming soon! :) Have a gorgeous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment