Friday, August 9, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Kale and Fruit Salad

Today's the last day of camp. It's been a lovely six weeks, full of learning new things alongside the children and learning to be patient with myself and them. I've made countless friendships and friendship bracelets, and realized how much energy I have. After camp, I still have the energy to cook, tutor or meet up with friends! As I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, I won't be blogging for a while, but I'll keep it up when I get back. I'll take lots of photos! 

This salad was made during my week of cooking with kale. This summer, I tried to cook with fresh ingredients (read: short amount of time before they go bad) so I had to be creative and really plan out recipes in advance so I could use up all the ingredients. I made a kale and fruit salad, just improvising like last time, and basically tossed in a bunch of different fruits. 

Kale and Fruit Salad 

Ingredients
Kale, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
Avocado, cut into bite-sized pieces
Mozzarella cheese, cut into bite-sized pieces
D'Anjou pear
Peach
Walnuts
Chia seeds (I added these after the photos were taken to my lunch the next day)
Balsamic vinegar and olive oil for drizzling


One tip I've found online is to rub the kale to release more of its nutrients. According to this, it softens the leaves and essentially "wilts" them. I think it tasted nice and crisp, while reducing some of the bitterness. 





Mmmmm...fresh and just the right balance of salty and sweet.
Have a lovely weekend! See you in two weeks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment