Friday, March 22, 2013

Letting the Dust Settle



This isn't a post about fashion or makeup, but rather more about emotional maturity. Recently, I've started watching Gossip Girl (I'm late, I know >.<) which has kind of become my guilty pleasure. Usually, I wouldn't expect to learn much from a show like that, but one character said something that actually really clicked with how I was feeling lately.

"Get two people in a room willing to be balls out honest, might get ugly but, eventually, the dust has to settle. And then, you can see if there’s hope." - Vanessa from Gossip Girl

With issues like college admissions, my friends and I have been feeling some tension lately. I'm sure all friendships and relationships have difficult moments, but it's hard knowing what to do. I've been torn between confronting people when I'm upset and burying my feelings. At first, I just ignored what was bothering me and blamed myself for overreacting. Eventually, I actually became really upset and it really strained my friendship. I was still afraid to talk to my friend about it though. I was afraid that our friendship would disappear if we got into an argument. 
What Vanessa said is right though. Be honest. Talk it out. It always seems like guys are more willing to voice when they're mad or upset and girls try to suppress it which only leads to secrets and distrust. If you are upfront (though reasonably so, don't be obnoxious) about your feelings, it "might get ugly," but if the friendship or relationship is meant to work out, "the dust has to settle." 
I ended up talking it out with my friend and we're completely cool now :) Time to enjoy Spring Break!




No comments:

Post a Comment