Thursday, March 28, 2013

Crystal Collar

I planned this outfit around the shirt. I haven't gone clothes shopping in a long time, so when I saw this affordable, trendy and sophisticated blouse at Forever 21, I knew I had to get it! Thanks to Xuewei, I've been looking at brands I normally wouldn't shop at. I don't have anything in this cornflower blue color. I usually buy clothes in only cool tones so that they will blend in well with the rest of my wardrobe. My favorite part about this shirt, however, is the crystal collar. It's just a tiny bit of glam - perfect for days when you want to play up the dressiness. The dark jeans serve as the canvas for the shirt and the leopard flats are just another pop of fun. I'm looking forward to wearing these flats as neutral statement pieces in Spring - neutral because of the coloration that matches everything from black to white to neon and statement because of the cute animal print. 


Outfit details: Blouse: Forever 21 / Cami: American Eagle / Jeans: American Eagle / Necklace: LOFT / Earrings: Gifted / Flats: Nine West









My necklace is actually a lariat from LOFT. The gunmetal color contrasts with the dark silver of the crystals. My earrings are also a matching gunmetal color. I looked for balance: A sprinkle of match and mismatch.




I changed it up with the hair this time! Since the collar is the focal point of the outfit, I didn't want to take attention away with my hair. However, since the collar cannot be seen from the back, I took the opportunity to braid my hair a little differently. Here's the amazing Pinterest tutorial that inspired the look. Some modifications I made: After I made the two Dutch braids (you have to be careful when making the top one not to use too much of the hair - start higher than you think and section off the bottom hair), I combined them into a single side braid. Hope you like the hairstyle! It's a more intricate look and keeps the hair out of my face. Most of the time Pinterest tutorials seem too complex (i.e. involve too many bobby pins) so I don't try them, but from how this one came out, I might want to try some more! 

Going back to shopping again - Since I don't shop often, when I do go clothes shopping, I am pretty selective. What I've found helps me the most is having developed a more cohesive style. Since middle school, my style has become more sophisticated and feminine. Therefore, anything that fits into those categories are easier to incorporate into the mix - florals, jewels, and classic staples are all great. Have any of you found that having one or two style "themes" helps when building your closet? 

Hope that you have a great day! The sun and bright blue sky, combined with my clear blue shirt, lifted my mood today :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment