Sunday, March 3, 2013

Starting the Day Off Right

Today's post isn't an outfit post: it's a food post! I'm going to talk about my daily breakfast routine and how that helps me start the day off the right way. I'm a firm believer in eating as naturally as possible and I try to reflect that in my meals. I try to cut anything processed or packaged out of my diet, with only a few exceptions. I find that it gives me more energy to eat a piece of fruit than a bag of chips. Part of it might be psychological, but I think my body reacts better to natural food. 




Here's what a typical breakfast looks like for me. I try to balance out healthy fats, protein and carbohydrates. In this medium-sized reusable container, I pack 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (Trader Joe's Greek Style Plain Yogurt), fresh fruit (this time I had papaya and clementine), 1/4 cup (total, not of each) of toasted walnuts, toasted almonds and Trader Joe's Toasted Oatmeal Flakes. On some days when I don't have fresh fruit and a lot of plain yogurt, I pack Chobani Greek Yogurt with Fruit on the Bottom as well as the 1/4 cup of walnuts, almonds and cereal. At home, we toast our own walnuts and almonds to give them additional flavor. That's definitely something I'll miss when I'm in college. I might just have to pack a ton of home-toasted nuts with me... :)

My morning routine goes like this. I wake up, do some stretches (downward-facing dog, plank pose, child's pose) before drinking about 16 fluid ounces of water with my daily vitamins and minerals dissolved in it. I get ready for school and then I head onto the school bus. About 30 minutes later I eat my breakfast in school. I used to eat breakfast at home, but I found myself getting hungry halfway through my third class of the day. Now that I eat breakfast later, only 3 hours pass between breakfast and lunch. 

I tend to eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours, and I find that this both prevents me from overeating and keeps me feeling full of energy throughout the day. Eating at school also helps me eat slower. I tend to eat too quickly, so I don't get to savor my food. Since I have more time at school to eat (and don't have to worry about catching my bus as I scarf down breakfast) I can take time to really appreciate the nourishment I'm providing myself.

Hope you enjoyed reading about my food philosophy! I hope it has inspired you to think about your mornings as a way to start your day with energy and motivation. 






2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! Maybe I'll write one of my own soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xuewei! Go for it, I'd love to learn about it :)

      Delete